Graduate Degree programs in the Department of Theatre are designed to prepare you for a career as a professor or administrator at major colleges and universities throughout the United States or for a career in professional theatre.
Available Positions for 2020-2021 Academic Year:
We are not currently interviewing candidates for the MFA in Acting. The next round of auditions will be in Spring 2021. Please contact Rob Roznowski for more information. Please do not apply to MSU prior to discussion with the department.
We are CURRENTLY accepting applications for the MFA in Design for the 2020-2021 Academic Year. We will be auditioning at the Chicago URTA auditions and at the Pop-Up URTAs at LDI Show in Las Vegas, NV. Those not attending U/RTA or Link may schedule an interview on MSU’s campus. Contact Karen Kangas-Preston for more information.
Do NOT apply to the Graduate School until you have spoken to the correct faculty representative.
The Department of Theatre offers TA positions in:
- Acting: THR 101, THR 110, THR 201, THR 204, and IAH 241D (Integrative Arts and Humanities) as well as online courses: THR 100, THR 110 THR 330, THR 336, THR 350, and THR 421.
- Design (Scenery, Costume, Lighting, Sound, Integrated Media) THR 111, THR 111L, THR 211, THR 212, THR 214, THR 216, THR 219, and IAH 241D (Integrative Arts and Humanities) as well as online courses: THR 100, THR 110 THR 330, THR 336, THR 350, and THR 421.
Appointment Length: 9 month FS & SS; 50% time.
Qualifications: Candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree including twenty-four credits in Theatre Studies (or professional equivalences). Candidate must be enrolled in good standing in a graduate program in Theatre.
Job Expectations: Assignments include but are not limited to lab supervision, undergraduate mentoring, grading, and independent teaching. Specific qualifications are dependent on the assignment.
- Department of Theatre Graduate Handbook
- Department of Theatre Recruitment Brochure
- Student Services: Graduate Assistant Information
- Funding Opportunities for Current Graduate Students
Graduate Employees Union
Graduate assistants and other graduate student employees of the University are covered by a contract negotiated with the Graduate Employees Union.