Graduate Degree programs in the Department of Theatre are designed to prepare you for a career as a professor or administrator at major colleges and universities throughout the United States or for a career in professional theatre.
Available Positions for 2022- 2023 Academic Year:
We are not currently recruiting for MFA Acting until Spring of 2023. Until then, you may contact Rob Roznowski with any questions.
We are CURRENTLY recruiting for the MFA in Design for admission to MSU in the Fall of 2022. We will be attending the virtual URTA auditions. Those not participating in U/RTA may schedule a virtual interview with design faculty. Contact Karen Kangas-Preston for more information.
Do NOT apply to the Graduate School until you have spoken to the correct faculty representative.
The Department of Theatre offers TA positions in:
- Acting: THR 101, THR 110, THR 201, THR 204, and IAH 241D (Integrative Arts and Humanities) as well as online courses: THR 100, THR 110 THR 330, THR 336, THR 350, and THR 421.
- Design (Scenery, Costume, Lighting, Sound, Integrated Media) THR 111, THR 111L, THR 211, THR 212, THR 214, THR 216, THR 219, and IAH 241D (Integrative Arts and Humanities) as well as online courses: THR 100, THR 110 THR 330, THR 336, THR 350, and THR 421.
Appointment Length: 9 month FS & SS; 50% time.
Graduate Assistantships offer full tuition waiver and a competitive stipend.
Designers and actors as part of their assistantships will teach a variety of courses that may include intensive lab and studio classes, large lecture classes, and online courses.
Qualifications: Candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree including twenty-four credits in Theatre (or professional equivalences). Once accepted into the MFA in Acting or MFA in Design, the candidate must remain enrolled and in good standing to be eligible.
Job Expectations: Assignments include but are not limited to lab supervision, shop work, undergraduate mentoring, grading, and independent teaching. Specific qualifications are dependent on the assignment.
- Department of Theatre Graduate Handbook
- Department of Theatre Recruitment Brochure
- Student Services: Graduate Assistant Information
- Funding Opportunities for Current Graduate Students
Graduate Employees Union
Graduate assistants and other graduate student employees of the University are covered by a contract negotiated with the Graduate Employees Union.