So Much More Than A Minor...
Administered by the Department of Theatre, the Minor in Musical Theatre is available as an elective to students who are enrolled in bachelor’s degree programs at Michigan State University.
This minor offers a unique opportunity for students to study musical theatre and its practical foundations. Courses are designed to provide a guided performance and academic experience tailored to each student’s career goals. Students will be prepared for careers that are directly related to musical theatre while learning creative, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills needed to excel in any profession.
- ĭmáGen New Musical Production
- Mainstage Musical Production
- Professional Summer Theatre Production – Summer Circle Theatre Company
Our Students have worked directly under Broadway Directors, Composers, Choreographers and Actors like:
- Ryan Scott Oliver, We Foxes, Jasper in Deadland, Darling, 35MM
- Gabriel Barre, Broadway: Amazing Grace
- Joe Barros, Broadway: Gigi
- Hannah Elles, Broadway: Bright Star, Godspell
- Katie Thompson, Pump Boys and Dinettes, Giant, Oklahoma!
- Jennifer Werner, Broadway: The Book of Mormon
- Carrie Manolakos, Broadway: Mamma Mia, Dear Evan Hansen
- Justin Matthew Sargent, Broadway: Bonnie and Clyde, Spider-Man
- Joshua Stephen Kartes, Broadway Sings, Broadway Sessions
- Guest Artists in the classroom
- Backstage access to meet artists and technicians
- Student discounts for Broadway touring productions
A Musical Theatre inspired Touring group that performs at select venues around the country with an elite group of students from the immersion program.
Amazing Grace, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Beauty and the Beast, and Grease
- The Minor in Musical Theatre requires an audition and interview (click here for details). Students must be enrolled in THR 101 or have already completed THR 101.
- The courses that are used to satisfy the minor may also be used to satisfy the requirements for the bachelor’s degree, with the approval of the Department of Theatre and the College of Arts & Letters.
- At least 12 unique credits counted towards the requirements for a student’s minor must not be used to fulfill the requirements for that student’s major.
- Students who are interested in the Minor in Musical Theatre should consult the undergraduate adviser in the Department of Theatre. See below for contact information. Students should enroll in the appropriate topic for THR 204 and 304 as directed by the academic advisor.
All of the following courses (13 credits):
- THR 101 – Acting I (3 credits)
- THR 202L – Voice Studio I Laboratory (4 credits)
- THR 204 – Topics in Acting/Directing I (2 credits)
Musical Theatre Acting I
- THR 304 – Topics in Acting/Directing II (2 credits)
Musical Theatre Acting II
- THR 495 – Musical Theatre Workshop (2 credits)
Musical Theatre Acting III