The Bachelor of Arts degree in Theatre is designed for students wishing to gain experience in all areas of theatre and the broader cultural sector. The BA program is designed to develop skills needed to create and appreciate new work, to understand the history of theatre, and to help navigate professional lives in the arts. In addition, the program is designed to give the student a broad comprehension of theatre theory and practice in order to lay a foundation for advanced study in graduate school, the beginnings of a career in the profession, or application for numerous career paths in the arts industry.
The University requirements for bachelor’s degrees as described in the Undergraduate Education section of this catalog; 120 credits, including general elective credits, are required for the Bachelor of Arts degree in Theatre. The University’s Tier II writing requirement for the Theatre major is met by completing THR 492.
- Second year competency in a foreign language (successful completion of 202 or higher).
- The completion of the Cognate Requirement.
- At least 30 credits in courses at the 300 level and above.
- A minimum grade–point average of 2.00 is required for all courses in the major that count toward the degree.
- A student earning a BA in Theatre may earn a maximum of 50 credits in THR and DAN courses.
Complete 39 credits from the following courses
Theatre Core (26 Credits):
- THR 101 – Acting I
- THR 110 – Theatrical Play Analysis
- THR 111 – Introduction to Technical Theatre
- THR 111L – Introduction to Technical Theatre Laboratory
- THR 300A – Theatre Practicum – Production Emphasis
- THR 300C – Theatre Practicum – Area Emphasis
- THR 331 – Studies in Contemporary Theatre
- THR 341 – Beginning Play Directing
- THR 431 – Studies in Theatre History
- THR 492 – Senior Seminar (W)*
*The completion of Theatre 492 satisfies the department’s capstone course requirement.
Theatre Design (3 credits):
- THR 211 – Introduction to Lighting Design
- THR 212 – Introduction to Costume Design
- THR 214 – Introduction to Scene Design
- THR 216 – Introduction to Sound Design
- THR 219 – Introduction to Digital Design
Theatre Electives (10 Credits):
10 additional credits in Theatre courses approved by the Department of Theatre.